Exclusively for current high school Juniors!
Fill out your application here.
What is the Yachad Morris Sandelbaum High School Fellowship Program?
A program that provides select students, who will have completed their junior year of high school, the chance to work as a counselor-in-training (CIT) in one of Yachad’s various summer programs for one session (approximately two to four weeks) during the summer. Participants will gain intensive leadership training and hands-on experience working with individuals who have developmental disabilities before, during, and after the summer. In addition to taking part in an amazing experience, Fellows will receive a stipend.
Before the summer, Fellows will attend a highly informative skill-building Fellowship training shabbaton as well as a half-day Sunday training (see details below). During the summer, Fellows will be primarily guided and supervised by the Yachad program director of the program they attend, will receive additional ongoing training and guidance by fellowship program directors during the summer, and will have 24/6 access to the fellowship program directors for additional mentoring as well.
Fellows will have junior counselor responsibilities within the larger framework of the Yachad programming at that site. After the summer, Fellows will have an opportunity to learn from the experiences of others, share their own experiences, and learn how to incorporate their experiences in a resume building workshop. After successful completion of the Morris Sandelbaum Fellowship Program, Fellows will be guaranteed a position as either a Yachad counselor or job coach in one of Yachad’s summer programs the following summer.
In which summer camps does the Yachad Fellowship training program take place?
- Camp Lavi
- Camp Mesorah
- Moshava IO
- Camp Morasha
- Camp Nesher
- Yachad Getaway
What training will I receive as a Fellow and when will they take place?
- Training Shabbaton (March 29-31)
- Sunday Training (TBA)
- Those who live inside and outside of the NY area will be required to attend the Shabbaton (we will fly you in) and to virtually participate in the pre-camp Sunday training
- Guidance and ongoing training during the summer from the Fellowship Program Directors
- 24/7 access to the program director of the camp you are in and 24/6 access to the Fellowship program directors for additional guidance.
- Post summer workshop to process your summer training and learn about how to incorporate your experiences in a resume.
Please note that attendance at all training session is integral to Yachad staff development and as such are mandatory.
What is the application process for the Fellowship program?
- Complete an application – available here.
- Provide a minimum of two recommendations.
- Recommendation form will automatically be sent to those listed on your application via email.
- No Yad B’Yad staff (directors, head counselors, and counselors included) should be used as references.
- Complete the supplementary form which includes a short essay (it will be sent to you after completion of your application)
- Attend an interview (dates and locations TBD)
- Participation at a Yachad Shabbaton (for those who haven’t done so already)
Deadline for priority applications October 31st is at Noon EST.
Limited spots available, so apply now!