Exclusively for current high school Juniors!
Fill out your application here.
What is the Yachad Morris Sandelbaum High School Fellowship Program?
A program that provides select students, who will have completed their junior year of high school, the chance to work as a counselor-in-training (CIT) in one of Yachad’s various summer programs for one session (approximately two to four weeks) during the summer. Participants will gain intensive leadership training and hands-on experience working with individuals with special needs both before and during the summer. Before the summer, Fellows will attend a highly informative skill-building Fellowship training shabbaton as well as a half-day Sunday trainings (see details below). During the summer, Fellows will be primarily guided and supervised by the Yachad program director of the program they attend, will receive additional ongoing training and guidance by fellowship program directors during the summer, and will have 24/6 access to the fellowship program directors for additional mentoring as well. Fellows will have junior counselor responsibilities within the larger framework of the Yachad programming at that site. After successful completion of the Morris Sandelbaum Fellowship Program, Fellows will be guaranteed a position as either a Yachad counselor or job coach in one of Yachad’s summer programs the following summer.
What summer camps/programs does the Yachad Fellowship training program take place in?
- Camp Lavi
- Camp Mesorah
- Moshava IO
- Camp Morasha
- Camp Nesher
- Camp Shoshanim
- Camp Stone
- Yachad Getaway
- Moshava Ba’Ir New Jersey (need to live locally)*
- Moshava Ba’Ir Toronto (need to live locally)*
What training would I receive as a Fellow and when would they take place?
- Training Shabbaton (Date TBD)
- Sunday Training (Date TBD)
- Those who live outside of the NY area will be required to attend the Shabbaton (we will fly you in) and to call in for the Sunday trainings
- Guidance and ongoing training during the summer from the Fellowship Program Directors
- 24/7 access to the program director of the camp you are in and 24/6 access to the Fellowship program directors for additional guidance.
Please note that attendance at all training session is integral to Yachad staff development and as such are mandatory.
What is the application process for the Fellowship program?
- Complete an application – available here.
- Provide a minimum of two recommendations.
- Recommendation form will automatically be sent to those listed on your application via email.
- No Yad B’Yad staff (directors, head counselors, and counselors included) should be used as references.
- Complete the supplementary form which includes a short essay (it will be sent to you after completion of your application)
- An in person interview (dates and locations TBD)
- Skype/G-chat/FaceTime interview for those who live outside of the NY/NJ area
- Participation at a Yachad Shabbaton (for those who haven’t done so already)
- $250 deposit, returned at the end of the summer**
Deadline for applications is November 1st at Noon EST.
Limited spots available, so apply now!
*In addition to taking part in an amazing experience, Fellows who work at Moshava Ba’ir NJ or Moshava Ba’ir Toronto will receive a stipend.
**For those who complete the full length of the program