To this end, the Marilyn David IVDU Upper School, a division of Yachad, offers a pre-vocational training program for young adults, with separate girls and boys divisions. This program is designed to prepare young adults with disabilities to transition into adult life by maximizing their strengths and preparing them for the work world.
IVDU strives to enhance the life skills and opportunities of special needs students and to ensure their participation in the full spectrum of communal life.
The Marilyn David IVDU Upper School program includes:
- A caring, warm and dedicated staff
- Social and life skills training, which are key for success in life
- Individual and small group speech and language therapy
- Pre-vocational training with job placements and job coaching
- Academic studies, including math, reading, writing and computers
- Gym activities
- A warm environment with Jewish cultural experiences
- Mainstreaming activities with local yeshiva high schools
The Marilyn David IVDU Upper School offers families and educators:
- Ongoing school consultations to develop and enhance effective teaching for diverse learners
- Innovative professional development opportunities for educators on the national level as well as regional and school-specific levels including webinar series
- Sensitivity Training Workshops for students and faculty
- Government Advocacy
- Resources for families, matching appropriate academic programs with their child’s learning needs.
- Resource Library of books about various disabilities for both children, parents, and educators.
The IVDU Upper School programs are located at:
IVDU Girls School
1244 East 7th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11230
IVDU Boys School
1760 53rd St.
Brooklyn NY 11204
For more information, please contact: Jack Gourdji, Executive Director, at 212-613-8104 or GourdjiJ@ou.org.